With the Coronavirus scare at large, it is the need of the hour to soothe even the faintest symptoms of a common cold or a flu that you may be experiencing, and ensure that you and those around you are safe.
Coughing is a reflex that may get triggered due to allergens, infection, medication, medical condition, or other irritants, causing the body to forcefully expel air from the lungs.
Some of the most common reasons for a cough are –
- Irritants like smoke, chemical fumes, pollution, air freshners, or perfumes
- Allergens like dust, mold, pollen, or animal dander
- Medical conditions like asthma, common cold, pneumonia, sinus infection, flu, upper respiratory tract infection, bronchitis, heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, whooping cough, and gastroesophageal reflux disease
Whatever be the reason for your cough, persistent coughing is not only bothersome, it could be rooted to a serious medical condition which needs to be addressed.
Home Remedies For Cough & Life Hacks
While medication and tests are not replaceable for a persistent cough, there are some home remedies for cough and life hacks that can help you calm your throat.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water and warm fluids throughout the day to soothe your throat. This will also help in thinning the mucus.
- Steam: Inhalation of steam is a great way to soothe a persistent cough. However, you must avoid steam if your cough is on account of asthma.
- Humidifier: Use a humidifier to help loosen the mucus and ease the throat
- Salt water: Gargle 4-5 times a day with warm salt water. This will help clear the mucus effectively
- Avoid smoke: Avoid smoking and even inhalation of second hand smoke when down with a cough
- Honey: Consume 1-2 tsps of honey multiple times a day to soothe your throat. Do not give honey to kids below 1 year of age.
- Turmeric: You can have turmeric mixed with warm water or other warm fluids. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and it provides relief from cough caused due to Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
- Chocolate: Treat yourself with some chocolate! Chocolate can help soothe and suppress nerve activity that could be causing the cough.
- Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties which could help with a dry cough or a cough caused due to asthma. A hot cup of ginger tea or ginger brewed in plain hot water can be consumed 2-3 times a day to find relief.
- Change your sheets: Keep your surroundings and the sheets you sleep on clean and free of allergens.
- Air conditioning filters & Masks: If you have a cough caused due to irritants and pollutants in the air, using special filters on your air conditioning or wearing a mask when you go outside could be a big help.
Coughing – When to See a Doctor?
You must consult your doctor immediately if –
- You have a cough accompanied by fever and shortness of breath.
- You are coughing up blood.
- You are wheezing.
- It’s been more than 7 days and your fever and cough haven’t gone away.
For more information on your health issues call +91 8010-994-994 and talk to Credihealth Medical Experts for FREE. Get assistance in choosing the right specialist doctor and clinic, compare treatment cost from various centers and timely medical updates