Creamy Mashed Potato Salad is a deliciously different way to enjoy leftover Mashed Potatoes!
Need a last-minute salad but all you have are leftovers? This take on a favorite Potato Salad uses up your leftovers and a handful of ingredients you likely have on hand.
Creamy Potato Salad
- Makes something brand new from leftovers.
- You likely have all ingredients on hand.
- Lots of easy variations, so it’s a new salad every time you make it.
- This recipe tastes even better the next day.
Mashed Potato Salad Ingredients
ADD-INS We added celery and hard-boiled eggs for texture but you can add bacon bits, or even diced red apples or radishes for a sweet crunch that goes well with vinegar dressing.
VARIATIONS Diced red, yellow, green, or orange bell peppers will add color and crunch! Make this recipe with sour cream or switch it out for Greek yogurt. So many possibilities!
How To Make Mashed Potato Salad
This is the easy part! Just whisk the dressing, combine the ingredients, and chill!
- Whisk dressing ingredients together separately.
- Fold remaining ingredients into mashed potatoes & mix dressing in.
- Chill one hour before serving.
NOTE: You may not need all of the dressing. Add more or less, according to personal preference. Keep in mind, as the salad sits it will absorb some of the dressing.
What to Serve it With
Burgers of course!
This is the perfect side salad to serve with a Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze, or an Easy Rotisserie Chicken. It’s also super tasty with French Dip Sandwiches. It’s an elegant and easy salad for any occasion! Scoop it on top of a bed of greens or add into an Easy Chicken Lettuce Wrap for a school or workday lunch.
- No leftover mashed potatoes? Use leftover roasted potatoes and give them a little squish with a masher.
- Make hard-boiled eggs the day before and keep them in the refrigerator until they are ready to use (the air fryer is the easiest way to do this). This will help keep the salad cold!
- Make an extra batch of the dressing, it’s great on macaroni salad too!
- The dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in a salad dressing cruet or mason jar.
Other Savory Potato Recipes
Did you love this creamy Mashed Potato Salad? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Mashed Potato Salad
This flavorful Mashed Potato Salad is the perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Sour cream & vinegar, plus mayo give it a delicious creamy tang!
Mix all dressing ingredients in a bowl.
Combine mashed potatoes with dressing & remaining ingredients. Mix well.
Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
If you are making mashed potatoes for this recipe specifically, cook about 1 ½ to 2 pounds potatoes. Peel & boil 15 minutes or until tender. Add butter, milk, seasonings & mash. Cool completely in the fridge before using in this recipe.
Calories: 324, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 137mg, Sodium: 561mg, Potassium: 471mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 445IU, Vitamin C: 26mg, Calcium: 52mg, Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best potato salad recipe, how to make potato salad, leftover mashed potatoes recipe, mashed potato salad, potato salad
Course Salad, Side Dish