It’s is always better to make your own food, to know exactly what you put on your plate. But there is always a time where you have no other option than fast food.
Opening the door of a fast-food restaurant doesn’t have to be a dreadful experience if you are on a keto diet.
Yes, most items on the menu are carb-loaded, but there are always some less-known options that are keto-friendly sometimes with just a few changes!
Let me tell you what these changes are and how you can turn your family’s favorite fast food into a keto-friendly meal.
What to avoid in fast food?
Most fast-food restaurant food is high in carbs, high in fat. So, if you find a way to drop the carbs, it becomes keto-friendly quite easily!
Here are the few ingredients that you absolutely need to ditch on a keto diet:
- Bread, buns, wraps, tacos, waffles – anything made with all-purpose flour. That’s why we use different flours on a keto diet.
- High-carb vegetables – potatoes, tots, hashbrowns, potato or carrot mash, corn cobs, etc. There’s a simple rule of thumbs for vegetables. If it grows underground, you should avoid it. If it’s not green, you should avoid it.
- Anything battered or breaded – chicken nuggets, fish sticks, cheese sticks, etc. The batter is always made with high-carb flour.
- Rice and Beans – too high in carbs.
- Sauces, Dressings – they are most of the time loaded in carbs. Some sauces are made mostly of fat and protein (some mayo, Bearnaise), but others are mostly made of carbs and oil.
- Desserts – always high in carbs.
- Drink – sugar-loaded sodas and juices. Only go for water or sugar-free sodas.
What to order in fast food on a keto diet?
There are still many things you can order in fast food restaurants on a keto diet!
The following ingredients are perfectly keto-friendly:
- Meat – with no sauce, and no batter, but with cheese, green vegetables.
- Keto-friendly vegetables – make sure to print my keto vegetable list to make sure they are keto-friendly. Green vegetables are almost always keto-friendly, and some non-green vegetables are fine in smaller amounts.
- Dairy products (except milk) – almost all dairy products are keto-friendly. So cream, cheese are all good!
Fast food replacers
Did you know you can still eat a burger on a keto diet?
Here’s the anatomy of a perfectly keto-friendly burger.
- Large leaf of lettuce
- Small slice of tomato
- A few slices of red onion
- 100% Meat Pattie
- Sugar-free Tomato Sauce
- Large leaf of lettuce
You can eat it because you’ve replaced all the high-carb ingredients with low-carb ones.
Here are all the common replacements you can make:
- Swap buns or wraps for lettuce
- Replace ketchup with mayo (check the ingredients for sugar)
- Swap battered meat for naked meat
- Swap fries for a salad with no sauce, no croutons
What to order at common fast-food joints?
Now that you know the basics, let’s have a look at what keto-friendly food you can have at specific fast-food restaurants!
Below is the list of the top American fast-food chains, and some of the top Australian, UK, and New Zealand fast foods!
1. How to eat Keto at Mcdonald’s?
First, let me tell you that Mcdonald’s have a Nutrition Calculator on their site. Since they change their recipes regularly, make sure to double-check the data!
Keto-friendly option at Mcdonald’s
To make your favorite Macdonald’s burger keto-friendly, order it bunless or wrapped in lettuce.
- Bunless BigMac: 5g Net Carbs
- Bunless QuarterPounder with Cheese: 7g Net Carbs
- Bunless QuarterPounder with Cheese without Ketchup: 3g Net Carbs
- Bunless Egg McMuffin: 3g Net Carbs
There’s nothing keto-friendly at the McCafe.
2. How to eat Keto at Starbucks?
Starbucks has a handy online menu with full nutrition however their calculator doesn’t take into account your modifications. So if you choose Almond Milk, it’ll still show the carbs for regular milk.
Keto-friendly options at Starbucks
- Caffe Mistro with Soy Milk (Grande or smaller) – a Grande Soy Mistro has 6g of Net Carbs.
- Caffe Americano (any size) – this milk-free Coffee has only 4g of Net Carbs in Venti size.
- Caffe Latte with Soy Milk (Short) – a short Caffe Latte with Soy milk has 5g of Net Carbs.
- Cappuccino with Soy Milk (Short or Tall) – a short Capuccino with Soy milk has 4g of Net Carbs while a Tall has 6g of Net Carbs.
- Espresso Macchiato (any size) – varies between 1g for a Solo with soy milk to 4g of Net Carbs for a Quad with regular milk.
- Tea (without milk, any size) – 0g of Net Carbs.
Everything else should be avoided as it can climb all the way up to 100g of Net Carbs!
3. How to eat Keto at Subway?
Subway has a nutrition calculator available on its website. It comes without saying that all subs and wraps are not keto-friendly, just because of the bread.
Keto-friendly options at Subway
- Cold Cut Combo (salad): 6g Net Carbs. You can actually double the meat, add cheese, Pepperoni, and remove the tomatoes to up your fat from 9g to 28g while sticking to 6g of Net Carbs.
- Chicken & Bacon Ranch (salad): 6g Net Carbs if you change cheese for Pepperjack, remove Tomatoes, swap Ranch for Oil, Add Pepperoni, and double the Meat. 38g of fat!
- Cold Cut Combo (bowl): 7g Net Carbs if you add Pepperjack, remove Tomatoes, add Oil, and double the meat. 50g of Fat!
4. How to eat Keto at Taco Bell?
Taco Bell has an application that allows you to tweak the food you order. Their kiosks are slightly less sophisticated so you might not be able to build a keto-friendly meal.
To eat keto at Taco Bell, remove any potatoes, any bean, rice, and any tortilla or bread.
Keto-friendly options at Taco Bell
- Mini Skillet Bowl (swap potatoes for meat): 5g Net Carbs.
- Beefy Burrito Bowl (remove Tortillas and beans): 6g Net Carbs.
5. How to eat Keto at Chick-Fil-A?
Chick-Fil-A has a few keto-friendly options without modifications. But to experience the full taste, opt for lettuce-wrapped chicken!
To make your Chick-Fil-A meal keto-friendly, remove
Keto-friendly options at Chick-Fil-A
- Grilled Nuggets (12 ct): 2g Net Carbs
- Kale Crunch Salad: 7g Net Carbs
- Lettuce-wrapped Chicken Club: 2g Net Carbs
- Lettuce-Wrapped Cool Wrap Tray: 3g Net Carbs
6. How to eat Keto at Wendy’s?
Wendy’s has a very handy ordering application online and on their mobile apps where you can add or remove ingredients.
To make your burger keto-friendly at Wendy’s removed the carb-loaded sauces, the buns, and any battered ingredients (onion rings, etc.)
Keto-friendly options at Wendy’s
- Pretzel Bacon Pub Cheeseburger – lettuce-wrapped with honey mustard and crispy onions removed: 3g Net Carbs.
- Lettuce-wrapped Baconator: 6g Net Carbs.
- Bacon double-stack: 4g Net Carbs.
7. How to eat Keto at Burger King?
Avoid any sides, except for the Garden Salad (not Crispy). Drop the bun on any beef burger, and remove tomato sauce and tomatoes. Stay away from the chicken burgers (they are all battered).
Once you do that, the bunless beef burger all options come down to less than 7g net carbs.
You can also pick from the beef breakfast menu, but remove the bun, muffin, toast, or croissant and the “cheese biscuit”.
Not that you can’t order a bunless burger from the website, you have to do it on site.
Keto-friendly options at Burger King
- Garden Side Salad without Dressing: 2g Net Carbs.
- Bunless Stacker King Single: 2g Net Carbs.
- Bunless Double Stacker King: 4g Net Carbs.
- Bunless Double Quater Pound King: 5g Net Carbs.
8. How to eat Keto at Dunkin’ Donuts?
All donuts are off-limits (made with wheat flour). You can pick some of their sandwiches, as long as you remove the muffin, croissant, toast, wrap, or bagel.
When it comes to drinks, make sure to order your coffee with Almond Milk and no syrups or swirl.
Keto-friendly options at Dunkin’ Donuts
- Hot Coffee with Almond Milk (Large): 5g Net Carbs.
- Iced Coffe with Cream (Large): 2g Net Carbs.
- Wrap-less Egg and Cheese Wake-up Wrap: 6g Net Carbs.
9. How to eat Keto at Domino’s Pizza?
All of Domino’s pizzas are unfortunately loaded in carbs, because of the bread.
One option to eat keto at Domino’s is to order a pizza without the base, just cooked on a plate.
Dominos Pizza toppings to avoid: Pizza Sauce, Honey BBQ Sauce, Hearty Marinara Sauce, Extra Cheese, Pineapple, BBQ Chicken, Diced Tomatoes, Garlic.
The other option is to go for their “other” menu, which includes salads, chicken, and sandwiches.
Keto-friendly options at Dominos
- Bread-less 8″ Bacon Cheeseburger Feast (Alfredo Sauce, Light Cheese): 7g Net Carbs.
- Bread-less Philly Cheese Steak Pizza (Alfredo Sauce, Light Cheese): 6g Net Carbs.
- Bread-less Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich: 7g Net Carbs.
- Bread-less Chicken Bacon Ranch Steak Sandwich: 5g Net Carbs.
- Bread-less Italian Sandwich: 5g Net Carbs.
- Classic Garden Salad: 7g Net Carbs.
10. How to eat Keto at Panera Bread?
Panera Bread offers a fully customizable ordering menu on its website. You can change all the ingredients in any of the menu items, so it’s quite easy to make anything keto-friendly!
However, the website doesn’t indicate the nutrition details on the menu, impossible to know how many carbs are in your meal unless you dif in the nutrition pdf.
Keto-friendly options at Panera Bread
- Cesar Salad (half): 7g Net Carbs.
- Greek Salad with Bacon (half): 5g Net Carbs.
- Ten Vegetable Soup (cup): 7g Net Carbs.
11. How to eat Keto at Pizza Hut?
Just like any other Pizza store, it’s quite challenging to eat Keto at Pizza Hut. You can order a bread-less pizza, some salads.
Keto-friendly options at Pizza Hut
- One slice of Garden Chicken Pizza: 5g Net Carbs (yes with the bread!!)
- Zesty Italian Side Salad (remove Tomatoes & Croutons, Blue Cheese Dressing): 7g Net Carbs.
- 6* Naked Wings: 5g Net Carbs.
12. How to eat Keto at Chipotle?
Chipotle has a handy online application where you can fully customize your meals and review the nutrition information for all your modifications. It’s therefore very easy to tailor your meal to your exact macros!
In a nutshell, avoid any bread (taco, burrito, quesadilla). Opt for a Burrito Bowl, a Salad, or a Lifestyle Bowl!
Chipotle is also the first large fast-food chain to offer a Keto option! The Keto Salad Bowl. They also have a Keto Bowl made with Cauliflower rice. Be aware that it contains 10g of Net Carbs and 43g of protein, which might take a large chunk of your daily macros!
Keto-friendly options at Chipotle
- Keto Salad Bowl: 7g Net Carbs. That’s right, nothing to change there just order it as is.
- Burrito Bowl with Carnitas, Cheese, Sour Cream, Fajita Vegetables, Lettuce (no bean, no rice): 7g Net Carbs.
- Salad with Lettuce Blend, Steak, Fresh Tomato Salsa, Cheese, and Sour Cream: 7g Net Carbs.