Italian sausage soup is a rich-flavored meal with zesty Italian sausage and veggies simmered in a tomato broth.
It’s finished with fresh spinach, pasta, and a sprinkle of parm!
A Fave Flavorful Soup
- This soup is a “one-pot wonder” so there is less mess and less clean-up.
- You can add any veggie you’d like into this recipe (and swap up the pasta with orzo or any shape you love)!
- Use hot or mild sausage to your liking (or even meatballs if you’d prefer).
- This soup reheats well making it great for lunches. Freeze in individual portions (before adding pasta) to keep it even longer.
Italian Sausage Use either mild, sweet, or spicy Italian sausage in this soup. No Italian sausage? No problem, use ground pork, chicken, or beef with the same spices we use in our homemade Italian sausage.
BROTH We use chicken broth in this soup but beef broth works just as well.
VEGETABLES Loads of different kinds of veggies like tomatoes, garlic, zucchini, and onion make this soup filling with lots of nutrients, too. Add whatever is in your fridge!
FLAVORS Add a delicious blend of Italian Seasoning or use your own special blend of favorite spices! We also add Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley as a garnish!
- Feel free to switch up the ingredients with leftovers like adding chicken in place of the sausage, or kale instead of the spinach.
- White beans can be replaced with lentils or garbanzos, long grain rice, and a liberal dose of cheese.
- Diced potatoes are a good substitute for pasta as well! Add a can of condensed creamy tomato soup for extra-rich broth.
How to Make Italian Sausage Soup
Veggies and sausage with pasta tastes amazing and it’s so easy to make this classic soup!
- Brown sausage, with onion & garlic per recipe below.
- Add broth, beans, vegetables and simmer until tender. Stir in zucchini for the last few minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta al dente, drain. Add to the pot (or to bowls).
- Garnish with parsley & Parmesan cheese.
Cook the pasta al dente (firm) in a separate pot and add it to individual bowls or to the pot.
This keeps the pasta from getting mushy as it sits, if you have leftovers, or if you’d like to freeze it.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Brown sausage, onion, & garlic. Drain.
- Add all ingredients except pasta, zucchini and spinach.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours adding zucchini in the last 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta and garnish with parsley & Parmesan cheese & serve.
If you plan for leftovers or to freeze this soup, keep the pasta separate and cook fresh pasta for serving.
- Keep Italian sausage soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat in the microwave or reheat the whole pot on the stovetop.
- Freeze in zippered bags with the date written on the outside.
More Savory Soups
Did you love this Italian Sausage Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Italian Sausage Soup
Chock-full of fresh veggies, Italian sausage, & pasta, this Italian Sausage Soup is so fresh and flavorful!
Brown Italian sausage in a large pot until no pink remains. Drain fat.
Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften.
Stir in broth, beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers, tomato sauce, & Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 7 minutes.
Add the zucchini and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Additional broth can be added If needed.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. Once cooked, drain well and rinse under cool water. Set aside.
Once vegetables are tender, stir in the spinach and cooked pasta. Cook until heated through and spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese if desired, and serve immediately.
Ground beef or turkey can be substituted but you will need to up the seasonings.
If you don’t have sausage, use ground pork, chicken, or beef and mix in the same spices we use in our homemade Italian sausage.
Calories: 711, Carbohydrates: 58g, Protein: 37g, Fat: 38g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 86mg, Sodium: 1415mg, Potassium: 1885mg, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 11g, Vitamin A: 7471IU, Vitamin C: 75mg, Calcium: 218mg, Iron: 9mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best Italian Sausage Soup
Course Appetizer, Dinner, Lunch, Pasta, Side Dish, Soup